Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Kanto Starters: Wind Waker Style

I have not really drawn much in "Wind Waker-style" lately, so last week I wanted to try something quick in that style.  I decided to try it on the starter Pokemon from the first set of Pokemon games (Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow).  Honestly, I do not have much more to say about this week's piece beyond that.



Behold!  From left to right we have Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Pikachu, and Charmander.  The Yellow version is also the only one where you can obtain all four of these Pokemon in a single run, and you can do that because you start with a Pikachu that follows you, just as Ash did in the cartoon.  Therefore, I felt like I should include the electric rodent among the other three.

Personally, I feel like Charmander came out the best in this drawing.  Charmander is usually shown with rather large eyes, but the narrow ones I drew here seem more lizardlike.  I gave everybody a bluish shadow, but Charmander was the only one I gave highlights.  The orange lizard is, after all, the only one of the group that has a constant external light source.  Squirtle is a close second to me, then Bulbasaur, then Pikachu.  I mean no offense to the others, I actually like all four of these Pokemon quite a bit.  I cannot usually decide on a clear favorite among these Pokemon in general, but I suppose I felt most inspired when drawing Charmander this time around.

There is not much left to say about this.  I know I usually ramble about what went into a picture, but that's the thing.  All I really thought here was "I want to draw the Kanto starter Pokemon as Wind Waker characters".  These Pokemon may not have even been the best choices to adapt that way.  Wind Waker takes on a cuter, more cartoony style than most other Legend of Zelda games, and these Pokemon are already designed to be cute. 

I suppose big kitty eyes might enhance the cuteness, though.

Although I drew this picture, I do not own the Pokemon series nor the characters "Pikachu", "Bulbasaur", "Charmander", and "Squirtle".  These are owned by Nintendo and the Pokemon Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment