Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grisly Wing, Banwi

I attend a weekly Internet stream where I talk to people into certain cartoons and games while the streamer plays various videos and video games.  The main event of this stream in recent months has been a playthrough of one of the Fire Emblem games that I have not played yet.  Often times, silly discussions occur either between the viewers in the chat or between the streamer and her audience, including arguments over things that may or may not turn the tide of the chapter.  During one stream, the host tried to defend her pairing of two particular characters who were both "Wyvern Lords", units that ride wyverns (mythological creatures that basically resemble smaller winged dragons) into battle, which soon led to an argument over how to properly pronounce the word "wyvern".  It was a nice little diversion from a chapter that was taking way too long to finish.

Since that night, I have been meaning to draw a wyvern, and I finally received the chance last week.



To put it simply, I wanted to create a wyvern that could act in a villainous role, possibly a high-ranking one.  As I have said before, I like dragons, and I usually expect them to be rather powerful monsters in whatever fictional realm they appear.  The prominent black and red, inspired by the Pokemon on the cover of the upcoming Pokemon Y, is a classic combination for darker or more "evil" characters.  That color combination just happened to look really good on this creature in this case.  I could probably apply this creature either as a Nightmare for my Lucids to fight, or I could slip it among the ranks of some of the other monsters I have uploaded here, like Kangolf and Mello.

When dragons have wings, they are usually depicted as giant lizards that happen to have wings; they do not replace any of their existing limbs with the wings, necessarily.  Wyverns, on the other hand, typically have hind legs but no fore legs, resembling scaly birds or bats rather than lizards with wings attached to them.  With this wyvern's design, I attempted to fuse two potential limbs into one, making large webbed hands that could theoretically function as wings.  Banwi's wings are meant to exaggerate how the webbing of a bat's wings are held together by its fingers.  What if the fingers that make the wings was only part of each finger?  For each digit, I gave Banwi a large claw to help him grab something or tear into it.

I may try to draw Banwi again in the future, but it was nice to finally sketch out another dragonlike thing.  I hope you like him, and remember, "wyvern" is pronounced "why-vurn" (with the long "i" sound).

No comments:

Post a Comment